If you would have told me a year ago I’d be blogging full time, I would have said it’s a dream. I had so many ideas but no direction. I didn’t know how to make it a reality. I’ve been blogging consistently for just under 3 months and it’s surprised me, in the best of ways, more than I could have ever imagined. Here’s some of the things I’ve been learning.
1. Start. That’s the secret. You just have to start. It’s difficult but still so easy. My biggest piece of advice, start.
2. Be consistent. Let your readers know what they can expect. Mine? A minimum of 1 blog post a week but 2 is the goal (I’ve got a new system and so far so good!)
3. Serve, serve, serve. Blogging is a space to share your knowledge, dreams, thoughts, and life with others. However you choose to blog and whatever it is you choose to blog about make sure it’s worth reading for your readers and community.
4. Be flexible. When I started, I thought I’d primarily be a travel blogger. I’d live with my husband and cat and I'd write about our adventures and travels. It’s shifted to look a lot more like every day life and I’m really digging it. People are too. Be willing to try different avenues to blog about.
5. Don’t get caught up in the details. There’s a lot that goes in to blogging to make it legit. SEO, website hosting, branding, domain names, Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, email lists. Don’t let that stop or overwhelm you. Start by writing and go from there. Be consistent and figure the rest out as you go.
6. You have to tell people what you’re doing. You can’t assume people are watching your every move. With so much happening on social media and life, you have to let people know what you’re offering them. When you write, let them know about it. When you post tell them….and then tell them again. You have to get over the vanity part of it and start promoting your work. If you really believe in what you’re doing, others will too.
7. We all have something to write about. For real. It can be anything. If you're stuck, think of what people ask you about the most. We're all an expert in something!
Let me know what questions you have about blogging below! I'd love to hear from you!