From Army Times. Two U.S. service members, one Department of Defense civilian and one contractor were killed by an explosion while conducting a local engagement in the northern Syrian town of Manbij on Wednesday.
Three other U.S. service members were injured in the blast, according to U.S. officials.
Operation Inherent Resolve, the U.S.-led mission to defeat the Islamic State, did not provide further information regarding the cause of the explosion.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack through the group’s propaganda arm. The terror group said one of its members conducted the attack in Manbij using a suicide vest filled with explosive material.
Video of the attack was reportedly recorded by CCTV footage, showing a busy street with civilians passing a store front just before a blast erupts from a building.
The U.S. military is still fighting ISIS, and the mission in Syria shows no signs of ending anytime soon, officials say.
By: Kyle Rempfer
“Our deepest sympathies and love go out to the families of the brave American heroes who were killed today in Syria. We also pray for the soldiers who were wounded in the attack," White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement. "Our service members and their families have all sacrificed so much for our country.”
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Syrian war monitoring group, said nine civilians were killed and others were wounded in the blast.
The attack comes just days after the U.S. military began the process of withdrawing some of its equipment from northern Syria.
President Donald Trump had previously announced his intention to rapidly withdraw the estimated 2,000 U.S. troops in Syria just before the Christmas holiday. That announcement came amid tensions with Turkey over the presence of U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters.