I’ve tried everything when it comes to calf training : supersets, giant sets, high reps, low reps, hitting them every day, etc. I’ve tried all the machines : standing raise machine, seated raise machine, donkey calf machine. This is the best machine I’ve found and here are some of the tips I’ve learned that works for me in my quest to turn these calves into cows 🤙🏻...
The 45 degree angled calf raise machine. With standing calf machines, if your form is not on point, you end up “shrugging” the weight up. Certain seated calf machines just aren’t the “right” angle for me. This machine works perfect for me. I break my knees slightly and can keep an eye on them to make sure they stay in the same position throughout my set..
Pro tips :
1. Feet inside shoulder width, toes slightly pointed in. I want to be pressing from the balls of my feet, not my toes. Break your knees slightly and keep them in that position throughout your set.
2. Tempo : here is the most important part I think. 3-4 seconds down. PAUSE. Explode up and squeeze at the top. That dead stop is crucial. You don’t want any momentum at all to help get that weight up.
3. Things to focus on : when I’m pressing up, I want to feel the pressure on the balls of my feet and my big toes.
4. Range of motion : everyone makes a big deal about “full range of motion” 🙄. Yes, you wanna travel thru a full range but I only go down as far as I feel tension on my calves. Once I feel that tension transferring to my Achilles...I stop and pause there.
5. Rep range : some people swear by high reps. I’ve found that to really get my calves to grow, I gotta do the exact opposite and hit em with low reps. 6-8 reps with a rest pause to reset my feet followed by 2-3 more reps seems to do the trick for me.
6. Intensity. Hit your calves 1st on leg days when you’re fresh. Make every rep count. I only do 8 sets total. If I do more, I have a tendency to “sandbag” in my efforts thinking I have more sets to make it up.