Devil take ye, Dougal MacKenzie.
Kinsman or not, I don't owe ye this.
- I seem to recall a certain oath of obedience. "So long as my feet rest on the lands of Clan MacKenzie."
- I gave my word to Colum, not to you.
- It's one and the same, lad, and you ken it well. Outside of Leoch, I am Colum's head, hands, as well as his legs.
- I never saw a better case of the right hand not knowing what the left was up to.
- The MacKenzie's, the MacBeolains, the MacVinishes none can force them to give against their will. But we have something in common. We want our king back where he belongs. Don't you? You have more to gain from a Stuart throne than I do. If you don't want to save your own silly neck.
- My neck is my own concern, and so is my back.
- Not while you travel with me, sweet lad.
- He'll do that again, use you like that?
- Aye. Aye, it gets him what he wants, you see.
- And you'll let him?
- He's my uncle. A man has to to choose what's worth fighting for. As you ken well. Well, best get some sleep.
- Yes, of course. Try not to hit any more trees.
- Don't worry. Trees are safe, sassenach.
- Good night.
Claire overhears Jamie and Dougal arguing. She hides and watches them. Jamie is furious, because Dougal uses him to collect money for a second Jacobite rising. Dougal reminds him of his oath of obedience, and Jamie says the oath was to Colum, not him. Dougal says outside of Leoch he is Colum's head, hands and legs. He asks if Jamie wants a Stuart on the throne, since he has much to gain from it. Jamie says his neck as well as his back is his own business, and Dougal says not while he travels with them. After Dougal leaves, Jamie begins punching a tree and tells Claire to come out. He tells her that he will let Dougal use him again, because he is his uncle and a man has to choose what is worth fighting for as she well knows. They share a moment and then Claire leaves to go to bed (1x05 Rent)