"Testimonial Gateway In Autumn"
This stone gatehouse was once the entrance to a historic mountain resort, and it had a cameo in a cheesy cult horror movie.
The gatehouse, originally dubbed the Smiley Testimonial Gateway, was built in 1908 to mark the 50th wedding anniversary of Albert and Eliza Smiley. But the Lake Mohonk resort goes back much further than the gatehouse, to the early 1870s when the original hotel was built by Albert and his twin brother Alfred as a mountain retreat and nature preserve. When the gatehouse was added almost 40 years later, it served as the formal entrance to the resort, and from 1908 to 1935, anyone visiting would first travel down its scenic road lined with towering oak trees. “The negative is the equivalent of the composer’s score, and the print the performance.” – Ansel Adams.