It’s usually around this time of year when the winter blues sets in. We’re stuck inside, it’s cold, there’s barely any sun... ugh. Well, I’m beating it this year. .
I’ve really started to embrace hygge (pronounced hoo-guh). It’s a Danish term for taking pleasure from the simple, cozy things in life. It’s about slowing down, simplifying, relaxing, giving yourself a break & having a comforting retreat. Hygge is about atmosphere and an experience. It’s about being with the people we love and not about things. Simply a feeling of home.
On a mission to make my home more “hygge” and beat the winter blues, I pulled out every single Christmas light from the attic, including the outdoor globe lights. Andy watched me with that look husbands always give their wives when they think we’re crazy but are too afraid to say anything 😂. I put the lights in various places around the house (around windows, inside vases, around the fireplace, bookshelf, etc). I’ve already noticed a big difference in how I feel. Try it!
Things you can do for hygge:
• surround yourself with only the things you love
• light candles... lots of them!
• put up fairy lights (or any lights)
• bring the outside in with greenery & houseplants • grab a cozy blanket
• wear warm socks or slippers
• curl up with a good book
• have a movie night with popcorn • play games with your kids, or anyone!
• warm drinks like tea, coffee, or hot cocoa in your favorite mug
• devotions, journaling
• drawing, coloring, knitting/crochet
• playing music
• take a walk outside
• gratitude moments • lighting a fire
• a pot of soup simmering on the stove
• diffusing essential oils
• turn your bathroom into a spa
• leave work on time
• no phone evenings • do any traditions! .
What are some things you do to beat the winter blues? What do you do that is hygge for you? I would love to hear more ideas!