SRI RAMDEVARA KATTE
150 year old check dam built with stone across Hemavathi river is located at 24 kms from Hassan.
Named after lord Rama its called as Sri Ramadevara Katte. It has met the needs of the farmers of Hassan and Mandya districts for nearly 150 years. This check dam was built in 1870 by the Mysore Maharaja with the help of British officials and was named as Ramadevara Annekatte or Sri Ramadevara katte.
It catered to the farmers of Holenarasipura and Channarayapatna in Hassan district and Krishnaraja Pet in Mandya district before the construction of Hemavathi dam which was built in the early seventies. Built with stone, the old, dilapidated dam now has water leaking from its walls, but still irrigates around 4,000 hectares in Holenarasipura taluk where farmers mainly grow paddy and sugarcane. The check dam has been named after Lord Rama, may be because of an old temple dedicated to Lord Hanuman at the site. When excess water from the Hemavathi Dam is let out, water floods the dam and it’s a sight not to miss. Though the local visitors visit the place, the dam site can be developed into a major tourism attraction by the addition of more facilities. Also a mini hydel power generation of 1.5 MW capacity was constructed downstream of Ramadevara check dam in 2001