For a warming winter lunch, this souper recipe is hard to beet 💁♀️ SWEET POTATO, BEETROOT AND COCONUT SOUP, topped with crunchy chickpeas and sweet potato skins. When it’s too cold for salad, soup will forever be my favourite midday meal. Batch make this soup and you’ll have enough for 3/4 days! Serve with bread to dip for extra bulk, or go for avocado toast if you’re extra and can do without dipping.
FOR THREE/FOUR PORTIONS YOU WILL NEED:
🍠 3-4 sweet potatoes (3 large, or 4 medium)
🥥 400ml can of coconut milk
4 cooked beetroot (one pre cooked pack is perfect)
💧 350ml veggie stock, or water (more to make the soup less thick)
🍯 2 tbsp tahini
🥄 2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp dried rosemary, 1 tsp cinnamon, salt and pepper!
FOR THE CHICKPEAS:
🥫 1 can of chickpeas
🥥 1 tsp coconut oil
🥄 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp cinnamon, salt and pepper!
YOU WILL ALSO NEED A BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR OR YOU GON’ HAVE SOME REAL LUMPY SOUP! 🔪⏲🥣
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Scrub your sweet potato, cut off the end pieces, and bake on a tray in the oven for an hour until soft.
2. For your chickpeas, pop them on a baking tray and coat in the oil and spices. Put them in the oven for 50 minutes to an hour, until crunchy. (To time them right, put in about 15 minutes after the potatoes).
3. Chop the beetroot into chunks and put in the blender with the spices, stock, tahini and coconut milk. When the potatoes are done, removed from the oven and cut lengthwise down the middle. Leave to cook for a minute then carefully scoop out the soft centres with a spoon. Add these to the blender too!
4. Leave your potato skins on the tray and put them back in the oven for 10 minutes to go crispy. Meanwhile, blend the soup until smooth. If you haven’t really annoyed your housemate with the loud blending noise it probably isn’t smooth enough yet.
5. Remove your potato skins and break up into small pieces. Heat the soup in a saucepan, pour into a bowl, sprinkle with the crunchy toppings and you’re done!