Your whole family will love this healthy Mac & Cheese.
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
Ingredients (serves 8):
- 8 oz chickpea pasta
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese, grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil & cook pasta for 2 minutes less than recommended on the package.
3. While the pasta is cooking, melt the ghee in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant & slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
4. Add butternut squash & cauliflower florets. Continue cooking an additional 2 minutes.
5. Stir in chicken broth & Dijon mustard. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat, cover & simmer until the vegetables are tender & slightly overcooked, about 8-10 minutes.
6. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Working in batches, puree the mixture until smooth using a food processor. Return to the saucepan and add the grated cheeses, setting aside a handful of each to sprinkle on top of the dish later. Mix delicately with a wooden spoon until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is completely combined.
7. Stir in the cooked pasta & transfer to a 9-inch square baking dish. Top with the reserved handfuls of grated cheese. Bake for about 55 minutes to 1 hour, or until cheese is melted and golden and the sauce starts to bubble.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories: 350; Carbohydrates: 42g; Protein: 23g; Total Fat: 13.4g; Saturated Fat: 6.2g; Cholesterol: 33mg; Dietary Fiber: 10.3g; Total Sugars: 7.8g; Sodium: 422mg #macncheese #healthierhawaii #cheese #foodstagram #foodie #recipe #nomnom #behealthy #kidapproved #tastytuesday #butternutsquash #healthysubstitutes #comfortfood