Since I'll be taking more official photos later at SDCC, I thought I'd share some of my process!
First pic is the jacket completed: dyed, ironed, arms stretched. The next few images are of the jacket before ironing and dyeing.
I got the jacket from @ezcosplay which I was nervous about since I'd never ordered a costume piece before. It arrived well sewn and designed! Unfortunately, the color was really off and looked more like varying shades of burnt orange. I knew I needed to iron and dye the heck out of this thing!!
I took to the internet to research and hit up my fellow #hexsisters at @scarletwitchcommunity
for advice. This was my first time working with pleather in this capacity, so understandably I was very nervous about screwing it up. Pleather is basically plastic...there's no going back if something goes awry!
Ironing required a the absolute lowest heat setting, while placing a towel on top of the jacket and pressing as hard as I could. This took 1.5 hrs, which was about as long as it took to watch Age of Ultron again 🤣
I stretched the arms by gently flexing my arms while wearing a thicker shirt, and applying some heat from a hairdryer.
After getting thoroughly exhausted by ironing and stretching, I began dyeing the jacket 'Scarlet Red' with acrylic leather paint from Angelus in several thin layers over course of 2 weeks. I did this in my spare time and evenings after my day job, making sure every layer thoroughly dried before going over it again. I added texture and film-accurate embellishments with a slightly darker shade of Angelus burgundy dye and scarlet red mixed together, on several more layers before sealing with Angelus matte acrylic finisher. The interior lining was also dyed with a watered down version of the jacket's dye, applied with brushes.
According to screencaps from the MCU films, SW's jacket also has a vent in the back of her jacket, creating something that resembles jacket tails. Another nervewracking process was cutting the pleather and stitching it together to create that same look. Again, couldn't go back if I messed it up! But I think it turned out alright :) Cont'd in comments...