Continuing the legs for the footstool project, next it’s time to paint or decorate, I wanted to paint them so they’d look like wooden legs, like a standard footstool or table of course. I decided to build my legs using layers of cheesecloth and piggy pop (mixture of glue, clay, water and I think paint??), the cheesecloth and piggy poo is very strong and can be easily applied with a paint brush, relief cuts may be needed to get around corners.
After a couple of layers of cheesecloth and poo, and letting that fully dry, it’s then time to paint. I started with a full base coat of raw umber, let that dry completely and followed it with a water downed coat of burnt sienna, and took a dry paint brush to take down the paint to give it that wood grain look. Always a lighter colour as the base and a darker colour on top! And let that dry. To prevert scratches and to hold the paint better in place, I went over it with a very light coat of glaze which also gave it a nice shine affect! Legs are now down! And time to upholster!:)
#footstool #carperntry #props #theatre #theatretech