Dinner tonight! Here’s how to make a truly great Chinese restaurant style stir fry, with plenty of sauce and tenderised chicken. Feel free to sub the veggies, only rules is that you cannot slip the Chinese Cooking wine, it’s the key to a truly restaurant quality stir fry! Be wary of any Chinese stir fry recipes that don’t call for Chinese cooking wine! N x 😘
Chicken Stir Fry / Chop Suey
Tenderised Chicken (optional):
180g / 6 oz chicken breast, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp baking soda / bi-carb
1 tbsp cornflour / corn starch
1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce, 2 tsp Oyster Sauce, 1 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine*, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, Dash of white pepper (or black), 3/4 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil (or other cooking oil)
2 garlic cloves finely chopped, 1/2 onion sliced, 6 stems choy sum, 1 medium carrot thinly sliced, 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (shiitake recommended), 1 cup bean sprouts
1. Place chicken in a bowl, sprinkle over baking soda. Use your fingers to mix then set aside for 20 minutes, no longer than 30 min. Rinse well, pat excess water with paper towels, set aside.
2. Place cornflour and soy sauce in a bowl. Mix until lump free. Then add remaining Sauce ingredients and stir.
3. Trim end off choy sum. Then cut into 7cm / 3" pieces. Separate stems from leaves.
4. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add garlic, stir quickly, then add onion, Cook for 1 minute, moving constantly, until onion is starting to wilt.
5. Add chicken, cook for 1 min until the surface changes from pink to white.
6. Add choy sum stems, carrot and mushrooms. Stir fry for 1 minute.
7. Add choy sum leaves, bean sprouts and Sauce. Stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes until the Sauce thickens to a syrup consistency. Serve over rice or noodles.
* aka Shaoxing wine, even sold @woolworths_au and @coles nowadays in Australia but much cheaper in Asian stores. Sub dry sherry or Mirin or if you can’t have alcohol, then use chicken broth instead of water in the Sauce and skip the cooking wine.
#recipetineats #ourplatesdaily #foodgawker #FoodWineWomen #feedfeed #f52grams #thekitchn #thatsdarling #tastespotting #TODAYFoodClub #