• • • • •
It’s all about that CRACKLING!!! The ultra tender juicy pork underneath is as added bonus 😇
Slow roast pork with crispy crackling .
2.5kg/5lb boneless pork shoulder, skin on (unscored or scored)
Olive oil, fennel seeds, salt and pepper
2 garlic bulbs, halved horizontally + 1 onion quartered
2 cups white wine (or alcoholic apple cider, low sodium chicken broth, apple juice or water) .
1. Dry skin with paper towels, leave uncovered overnight in fridge if possible (I didn’t). Rub
flesh with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper and 1 ½ tsp fennel seeds (or other
spice/herb). Flip, rub skin with 1 tsp oil, sprinkle evenly with 1 tsp salt and pinch of pepper.
2. Roast uncovered 2.5 hours. Check at 1.5 hours, if skewed and warped, level it out (pull
flappy bits of meat out, level skin surface with scrunched up balls of foil). LEVEL SKIN = EVEN
HEAT = BETTER CRACKLING!
3. Crank up heat to240C/450f, roast for 30 minutes rotating every 5 to 10 minutes until skin
is deep golden and crispy all over.
4. Cover loosely, rest 20 minutes while you make gravy. Cut with serrated knife and serve
5. Gravy: Scrape pan sludge into strainer set over saucepan. Whisk in ¼ cup plain flour (or 2
tbsp cornflour), then whisk in 2 cups low sodium chicken broth. Simmer, season with salt &
pepper (OR dark soy sauce for colour – cheeky tip, does NOT taste soy saucy!). .
STORAGE: Cool crackling and remove from pork. Refrigerate separately. Crackling is still
crisp cold but is better reheated in oven. Reheated pork meat in microwave. .