CALL FOR INTERNS
Indonesia has the largest shark fishery and until recently the largest manta fishery. Since 2014 Misool Foundation has been working to transition the community of Lamakera, East Flores, from Manta hunting and other unsustainable fisheries.
Despite an almost 100% reduction in targeted manta hunting, our work has highlighted another threat; manta and mobula bycatch in gillnet fisheries. We need to understand this threat and its impact on manta and mobula populations throughout the Savu Sea region to ensure the protection and recovery of these vulnerable species.
We are looking for “FIELD RESEARCH ASSISTANT”
You will assist our research team in Flores (West Manggarai). Duties include: · Collecting Photo-ID and DNA samples;
· Fish market monitoring;
· Research into the local mobulid fisheries;
· Assist the research team in sampling environmental DNA (eDNA);
· Develop partnerships with key stakeholders.
1. Indonesian Citizen
2. College student in the last semester or recent graduate with major background: marine biology, marine and fisheries science, oceanography or other environmental related field.
3. Willing to undergo a 3-month internship (August-October) in Flores.
4. Hard working and passionate about conservation.
5. Comfortable living and working in a basic field environment in a remote area of Indonesia.
6. Application Instructions:
· Curriculum Vitae (CV)
· Study program card and study result card
· Reference letter from your lecturer or supervisor
· Letter of permission from your parent
· Motivation letter including your ability/desire to work in a remote area .
Confident, high level of English, good social skill, snorkeler or scuba diver (if diver, must provide your diving license), fisheries science basic knowledge, basic statistic, knowledge of Microsoft Office, and self-motivated.
Deadline: 29 July 2018
Interviews: 31 July 2018
Submit your application to:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
2. Accommodation and food
3. Monthly incentive