For your evening social media scrolling consideration, I offer to you: Highlights and things I learned/was reminded of on my first fully solo trip to DC.
1. Entertainment matters. When I was visiting some of the most iconic places in our nation's capitol, I heard more comments about Forest Gump than about the actual history behind or reason for the monuments.
2. To piggyback off #3, I passed by someone saying, "I feel risky today. Let's go steal the Declaration of Independence!" Made my day.
3. I stopped like 20 times to offer to take a picture for someone, offer directional help (especially on where to walk to avoid the sun), or to help someone take a picture of their own because they said it looked like I was taking a cool shot. It reminded me of why I could never master that, "Don't talk to me" scowl. I love helping people, meeting new people, and reminding hopefully myself, as well as them, that we are both equally loved and valued by our Creator.
4. I love to walk. I walked at least 9-10 miles today and would have loved to keep going. But I also can't stand walking behind people who are just strolling leisurely.
5. The World War II Memorial is one of my new absolute favorite places. If it hadn't been so swelteringly hot and sunny and my phone hadn't already been switched to my backup charger, I could've stayed there for hours. #rememberandhonor
6. I belong in Scotland. As soon as I heard Scottish bagpipes playing I went off running towards the sound and once I found it did not leave until the player left. And then I kinda stalked the player and almost ran across the street to talk to him.
Till next time DC! It's been a pleasure.
#dc #washington #capitol #nationalmonuments #washingtonmonument #wwIImemorial #lincolnmemorial #forestgump #nationaltreasure #bagpipes #scotland #travelingsolo #adventure #staycation