Far away places. Imagine travelling to Cape Chersonese, which overlooks the Black Sea. It is located on the outskirts of Sevastopol in the Crimea, originally an ancient Greek colony (the ruins are still there). Some local Black Country lads serving with the South Staffordshire Regiment in the Crimean War would be grimly familiar with the siege lines of that topography and seeing that light.
Along with a twin tower at Tarkhankut, the lighthouse was built there in 1816. In 1861, engineers from Chance Brothers installed one of their holophotal revolving lights in the tower. This is quite early in their career as lighthouse specialists – it will be another six years before they install the lights at the Upper and Lower lighthouses at Portland Bill. During the Second World War, the Chersonese lighthouse tower was destroyed, but it was rebuilt in 1950-1951.
Image: The lighthouse at Cape Chersonese - looking south; W. Simpson, lithograph, 1855.