One of my favorite dishes when I visit Shanghai is this pan fried pork bao aka “sheng jian bao”- it’s succulent and juicy on the inside and perfectly crisp on the bottom. But somehow they almost ALWAYS serve this dish last at the restaurants when I’m already stuffed and can barely enjoy it. So now I’m determined to re-create this so I can enjoy it whenever and wherever!
The awesome part about this recipe is that you can pretty much get all the main ingredients from @traderjoes ! In fact....the dough for this pan fried bun is from premade pizza dough!
Here’s the recipe:
▪️1/2 ground pork
▪️1 tbsp ginger minced finely
▪️1 green onion minced
▪️1 tbsp soy sauce
▪️1/2 tsp white pepper (can sub with black pepper or salt)
▪️1 tsp rice cooking wine
▪️1 tsp sesame oil
▪️1/3 cup water
▪️ 4 cups of shredded cabbage, chopped very finely (I used food processor)
▪️2-3 shiitake mushrooms, chopped finely.
▪️1 lb pizza dough pack from @traderjoes
1. Combine ground pork, ginger, green onion, soy sauce, cooking wine, and sesame oil in a mixing bowl and start mixing, adding the 1/3 cup water in gradually. Make sure to continue mixing in ONE direction. Total time for mixing is about 10 min.
2. Add in the cabbage and mushrooms and mix well.
3. Prepare pizza dough by dividing dough up into around 16 equal pieces and roll them into balls. Have extra flour on hand in case dough gets too sticky.
4. Roll the balls out flat so you have small flat circles that you can wrap the meat with.
5. Watch YouTube videos on how to wrap the bao to get the ripple effect - obviously I did not achieve that this time 😅
6. I cooked half (so around 8) at a time. Add oil to pan (make sure oil covers pan completely/almost completely) and add on the buns. Then add .5 cup of flour water (just a little dash of flour (1/2 tsp?) thrown into water) and cover/cook on high for 8 min. Then turn off heat, keep covered for 1 min.
7. Serve HOT! Garnish with sesame seeds (I used EBTB seasoning from Trader Joe’s) and fresh green onion. This should be consumed right away! And it will be once you take a single bite 😻
The process of how I made it will be saved on my highlights. Enjoy! :)