Basil Spinach Twists
I made these a few weeks ago for my book club. I just used a dough recipe & added my usual basil spinach pesto as the filling. Unfortunately, at book club when they were reheated they got burnt so we couldn't enjoy them, but I had saved a bunch for Michael who absolutely loved them!
* 2 tsps yeast
* 2 tsps sugar
* 1 cup warm water
* 3 cups + 2 Tbsps white flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 4 Tbsps olive oil
* 1/2 tsp dried parsley
* 1/2 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* 1/2 tsp rosemary
Basil Spinach Filling:
* 100g basil
* 30g spinach
* 1/4 cup rice bran oil
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 1 cup roasted cashews
* 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
* 3 cloves garlic
* Optional: A Tbsp of vegan parmesan.
* You will need a mixer with a dough hook unless you prefer to mix by hand. In the bowl of your mixer, whisk together yeast, water & sugar. Let sit for a few mins.
* Add in flour, salt, olive oil & herbs. Mix using the dough hook until mixture comes together into a smooth ball.
* Wipe a glass bowl with a little olive oil. Put the dough in the bowl, then turn it upside down. This ensures a light coating of oil on all surfaces. Cover the bowl with a tea towel.
* Turn your oven to 180C/350F for 1-2 mins, turn it off, & then put your dough in there to rise. Leave for 1-2 hours, or until doubled.
* While waiting for your dough to rise, make the filling. Use a food processor to chop & blend all ingredients.
* Taste & add more or less salt, lemon & garlic depending on your preference. Add in a little more oil if the pesto is too thick. Cover & place in the fridge until your dough is ready.
* Preheat your oven to 190C/375F. Line two trays with baking paper.
* When dough has doubled in size, lightly flour your bench. Grab the dough & lightly knead it. Split it in half, then roll the first half out into a large rectangle.
* Spread filling evenly over your rectangle with a spoon. Roll up the rectangle firmly from the longest side. Cut roll into slices & place on your tray. Repeat with the rest of the dough & filling.
* Bake for 20 mins or so, until lightly golden.
#SophieAndrewsVeganBread #SophieAndrewsVeganCanapes #Vegan