This week's FOTW:
- 12 eggs, whisked.
- 1/2 cup water or bone broth.
- 1 pound compliant ground breakfast sausage.
- 1 red onion, diced.
- 2 red peppers, diced.
- 4 oz. mushrooms, chopped.
- 3 green onions, green parts only, chopped.
- 2 large handfuls of spinach.
- Salt and pepper, or your favorite seasoning blend to taste (optional).
1. Warm up a cast iron skillet on medium heat.
2. Add your sausage to the skillet and begin browning. Prep your veggies while you wait for your sausage to cook.
3. Once the sausage is almost cooked through, scoot it to the side of your skillet. Pour off or soak up any excess grease with a paper towel, being sure to leave a little for sautéing.
4. Add your onion, and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Once cooked, combine it with the sausage and push them back to the side of your skillet.
5. Add the red peppers to the skillet, sauté for 3-5 min, and combine with the onion and sausage.
6. Add the mushrooms and green onions, sauté for 2-3 minutes, then combine with the sausage and veggies.
7. Add your spinach and stir until wilted.
8. Sprinkle with salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning blend (optional) and give everything one final stir.
9. Whisk your eggs and water or broth in a large bowl, then pour them into the skillet.
10. Cook the frittata on the stove top for 5-10 minutes, or until the eggs begin to set.
11. Finish the frittata in the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the eggs are fully cooked through and the top is golden.
The colors of this frittata are beautiful and have me in the holiday spirit! Unlike a holiday latte, though, starting my day with this wholesome breakfast will help prevent the mid morning slump and sugar cravings.
What are you making for your holiday gatherings? I think I’ll bring this festive frittata and a tray with sausage slices, grass fed cheese, olives, grapes, and Simply Mills grain free crackers. That should keep my people happy and well fed.