This week's FOTW:
- 12 eggs, whisked.
- 1/2 cup water or bone broth.
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage.
- 1 red onion, diced.
- 1 yellow pepper, diced.
- 1 orange pepper, diced.
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and diced.
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped.
- 1 green onion, green part only, diced.
- 2 large handfuls of mixed baby greens (spinach, kale, Swiss chard), chopped.
- Salt and pepper, or your favorite seasoning blend to taste (optional).
1. Warm up a cast iron skillet on medium heat.
2. Add your ground sausage to the skillet and begin cooking.
3. Once the sausage is almost cooked through, scoot it to the side of your skillet to make room for your veggies.
4. Soak up any excess grease with a paper towel, being sure to leave a little to sauté your veggies.
5. Add your onion to the skillet and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Once cooked, stir it into your sausage and then push to the side of the skillet.
6. Add the yellow, orange, and jalapeño peppers to the skillet, sauté for 3-5 min, and combine with the onion and sausage.
7. Add the mushrooms, sauté for 2-3 minutes, then stir it into the sausage and veggies.
8 Add the green onions and mixed greens and stir until wilted.
9. Sprinkle with salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning blend, and give everything one final stir.
10. Whisk your eggs and water or broth in a large bowl, then pour them into the skillet.
11. Cook the frittata on the stove top for 5-10 minutes, or until the eggs begin to set.
12. Finish the egg bake in the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the eggs are fully cooked through and the top is golden.
Cooking for the week was about the last thing I wanted to do this weekend after being on vacation all week, but I know I won’t regret it when my mornings are less stressful.