Apartments in Kadriorg, Tallinn. Designed by Aleksandr Wladovsky in 1928. Wladovsky, born in St Petersburg in 1876, is among the most charismatic characters in the history of Estonian architecture. He moved to Estonia (then part of Tsarist Russia) in 1908, after having built beautiful Art Nouveau buildings all across Russia, and became the head architect of the Narva textile factory (nowadays, Narva is the easternmost city in the European Union). There, his large hospital still survives. In 1920 he moved to Tallinn, and instantly became a favourite architect among the elite for his pompous taste in style. Throughout 1920s and 1930s he designed rather lavishly decorated classical-influenced buildings, including the annex to the 17th-century Kadriorg Palace, which caused an uproar among the local (obviously jealous) architects. Truth be told, he was the best man for the job. Today, his buildings - most of them in Tallinn - are loved and well taken care of. For example, this beautifully ornamented wooden building flanking one of Tallinn's main thoroughfares was recently renovated, as have been many of his buildings in its vicinity in the Kadriorg suburb of Tallinn. Wladovsky died in 1950 in Tallinn, and is buried in Tallinn Forest Cemetery. In 2018, a superbly thorough monograph "Архитектор-художник Александр Игнатьевич Владовский: материалы к творческой биографии" was published in Moscow by Andrei Ponomaryov. Unfortunately, it's only in Russian.
Soviet-time photo by an unknown author.