I never talk much about how I make my costumes, and recently seeing the #ardastyle tag inspired me to finally do so with the wig for my Kihel Heim cosplay! .
Way back in 2015, I decided I wanted to try and recreate Kihel's drillcurls WITHOUT any materials like tape, wire, foam, etc. and certainly no glue. I didn't want to make this wig too heavy and I wanted to able to wash and straighten the curls out later so I could reuse this wig to maybe cosplay Queen Dianna in the future.
The wig began as an Arda Venus with a pack of Long Wefts, but when I wore this costume for the very first time at Otakon 2016, I was unhappy with how it looked. So later that year I bought Arda's Le Tigre and clip-on Bombshell Bangs in the same color and proceeded to "frankenwig" everything together. The second photo shows how much fuller the wig became when I combined the Venus and Le Tigre.
The third photo shows a bit of the curling process. After months of experimentation, the best method I found to achieve the six curls was with a 1-½" curling iron, heat layers of a few wefts each for five minutes. Then, turn off the iron with the fibers still around it to allow them to cool for ten minutes. Once curled, wrap the layers around one another, thoroughly sealing them with hairspray. This was super tedious but it worked!
With the improved super-wig, I wore Kihel again to three more events/cons. Sadly the wig was very cumbersome and had to be re-styled between each con because it would begin to unravel and frizz like crazy. 😵 So I decided to retire this heap of curls after wearing them one last time to #zenkaikon2018, where the first photo here was taken (courtesy of DeathCom Multimedia). Technical difficulties aside, I am proud of my efforts and don't think they would have been possible without the quality and versatility of Arda Wigs!
#kihelheim #turnagundam #gundamcosplay #cosplayprocess #90sanime #drillcurls #ardawigs #ardaletigre